Subject Knowledge (Non-Specialists)
This programme is new to Maths Hub this year but is a continuation of the teacher subject specialism training (TSST) that was available in previous years through different institutions. The programme is aligned to the NCETM teaching for mastery pedagogy and is based on six key themes:
- Structure of the number system
- Operating on number
- Multiplicative reasoning
- Sequences and graphs
- Statistics and probability
Participants will explore these themes, supported by an experienced secondary practitioner.
- explore and increase their use of a range of pedagogic approaches consistent with teaching for mastery
- increase their confidence in planning for progression in maths
- improve their subject and curriculum knowledge of secondary maths with a particular emphasis on mathematical structures in key areas.
Who can take part?
This programme is for non-specialist teachers of maths in state-funded schools who fit the following definition:
A non-specialist teacher of mathematics is ‘a teacher that is currently teaching some mathematics who has not undertaken initial teacher training (ITT) in mathematics’.
If there is sufficient space in the cohort, other teachers of maths who do not fit this definition but would benefit from this support may also participate.
This Work Group is now closed. Recruitment for 22/23 will start after half term.