Mastering Number at Reception and Key Stage 1
In 2024/25 following the Ofsted review on Co-ordinating Mathematical Success, the Solent Maths Hub will be organising a community of schools, following the Mastering Number Programme. This programme will develop solid number sense, including fluency and flexibility with number facts, which will have a lasting impact on future learning for teachers. The programme will also involve high quality professional development for teachers - through a range of national and local training.
A school's participation involves teachers from each of Reception, Year 1 and Year 2, the maths subject lead, and the headteacher. In larger, multi-form schools, it is expected that lead teachers support colleagues in Reception and KS1 to support the same approach in their classes, to ensure consistency across the school. Teachers will be expected to deliver a daily session of 10 to 15 minutes in addition to their daily maths lesson, which may be a little shorter as a result. Resources, including lesson plans and visual materials, will be provided.
Benefits for Participating Schools
Participating in the Work Group will provide the following benefits for participating schools:
- High-quality support for teacher professional development for the lead teachers, directed by the NCETM and facilitated by our Hub
- A supportive and collaborative online community facilitated by the Work Group Lead
- Resources provided, including coherent plans for the Mastering Number daily sessions in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
Who can apply?
Any primary or infant school can apply and the Hub is able to offer 50 places for schools within our region. The programme is free of charge to any schools participating.
Expectations of participating schools
Schools chosen to participate in the Work Group commit to the following expectations:
- The school will introduce Mastering Number in all Reception classes, as the main maths lesson for all number work, and ensure children are offered opportunities to embed their learning
- Year 1 and Year 2 classed should use the Mastering Number materials in addition to their daily maths lesson
- Teachers will be expected to contribute to an online community led by the Work Group Lead, reflecting on the impact of the programme, as well as attending locally-led sessions
- The school will provide any feedback required by the Maths Hub and participate in the evaluation process
- At the end of the year the schools should consider how they will continue to engage with their local Maths Hub e.g. through joining a Work Group such as Mastery Readiness, Development, Embedding or Sustaining, or Embedding the Impact of Mastering Number
How to apply
Schools interested in applying to be a part of the 2024/25 programme can do so by completing the form below. Applications will close on Friday 22nd March at 5pm:
Mastering Number Showcase
A fantastic, FREE opportunity to watch a Mastering Number session in action.
Any school interested in finding out more about the Mastering Number Programme can join for the opportunity to see a live session and discover how the Solent Maths Hub can support you to run the programme for your children.
Kanes Hill Primary School
Wednesday 28th February
09:00 - 11:00am
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place at this fantastic, free event.